Updating HP switch firmware
N.B. HP recommend you incrementally update the firmware:
NOTE: HPE recommends that you update to this software from one of the three previous releases (KB.15.18.xxxx - KB.16.01.xxxx). If your switch is running an earlier version of software, incremental updates are recommended.
- telnet or ssh (as appropriate) to your switch using PuTTY or direct from NetManager:
netmanager 1# ssh admin@switch-core We'd like to keep you up to date about: * Software feature updates * New product announcements * Special events Please register your products now at: www.hp.com/networking/register admin@switch-core's password:
- Login when prompted and use the
switch-core# show flash Image Size (bytes) Date Version ----------------- ------------ -------- -------------- Primary Image : 12517544 03/15/14 KB.15.15.0006 Secondary Image : 12517544 03/15/14 KB.15.15.0006 Boot ROM Version : KB.15.01.0001 Default Boot : Primary
- Visit the searchable HP firmware page and locate the firmware for your chosen switch.
- Bearing in mind the notice about incremental updates (above), download the appropriate software. Read any relevant notices on the download page for the versions. In the example here, the switch is KB.15.15.0006 and the firmware available is KB.16.03.0003, KB.16.02.0016, KB.16.01.0012, KB.15.18.0013 and KB.15.16.0016m (Maintenance). As the current version is KB.15.15 and the notice says to upgrade from KB.15.18.xxxx, I will update to KB.15.18.0013 first and then update to KB.16.03.0003
- Copy the firmware to the tftp area (/tftpboot) on NetManager using WinSCP. I've placed in a subdirectory /tftpboot/hp/5400r, so the path will begin with /hp/5400r (filenames are case-sensitive)
- The switch has two firmware locations. Ideally, you should update the secondary, check that it works and then update the primary. So first update the secondary:
switch-core# copy tftp flash 10.36.0.1 /hp/5400r/KB_15_18_0013.swi secondary The Secondary OS Image will be deleted, continue [y/n]? y 08457K
- Check that it has correctly updated:
switch-core# show flash Image Size (bytes) Date Version ----------------- ------------ -------- -------------- Primary Image : 12517544 03/15/14 KB.15.15.0006 Secondary Image : 16575066 09/01/16 KB.15.18.0013 Boot ROM Version : KB.15.01.0001 Default Boot : Primary
- Reboot from the secondary flash:
switch-core# boot system flash secondary System will be rebooted from secondary image. Do you want to continue [y/n]? y Connection to switch-core closed by remote host.
- Log in and use
show versionto check the correct version is running:
switch-core# show version Management Module 1: Active Image stamp: /ws/swbuildm/rel_quebec_qaoff/code/build/bom(swbuildm_rel_quebec_qaoff_rel_queb ec) Sep 1 2016 18:47:52 KB.15.18.0013 842 Boot Image: Secondary Boot ROM Version: KB.15.01.0001 Active Boot ROM: Primary
- If all is OK, repeat the copy and boot commands, but with primary instead of secondary:
copy tftp flash 10.36.0.1 /hp/5400r/KB_15_18_0013.swi primary boot system flash primary
- Repeat with any other versions until the switch is up to date