Activating RDS CALs purchased through EES
Server 2008R2 and older
- Launch Remote Desktop Services Licensing on the server with that role installed (This is located in Administrative Tools > Remote Desktop Services). On earlier versions of Windows, it will be called Terminal Server Licensing and be found in Administrative Tools > Terminal Services.
- In the right hand pane of the Remote Desktop Licensing Manager, right click on the server name shown and choose Properties from the menu.
- The properties window will appear on the Connection Method tab. From here select Telephone as the connection method, select United Kingdom as the Country and click Ok.
- Right click on the server name in the right hand pane and click on Install licenses from the menu.
- Click Next on the first window that appears. The second window has all the details you need.
- Call 0870 241 1963 (Microsoft Licensing)
- Press 1 for English
- Press 2 for Volume Licensing
- Press 2 for Terminal Services/RDS licenses.
- A customer rep will ask you for the agreement/enrolment number and the number of licenses required
- They will also ask you to read out the license server ID which is shown on the Install licenses window
- Once they've confirmed this code with you they will read a licence key pack ID back to you for you to enter into the boxes on the Install licenses window.
- Once you have entered this code they will tell you to click next. The next window should confirm the licences have been installed and you can then just close this window.
- Launch Remote Desktop Licensing Manager on the server with that role installed (This is located in Administrative Tools > Remote Desktop Services)
- Right click on the server name in the right hand pane and click on ''Install licenses' 'from the menu
- Click Next on the first window that appears
- Select the License program (in this case, School Agreement for EES) and click Next
- Enter the agreement number and click Next
- Select the product version (must pick appropriate version of servers that will be using this licence server, so do not pick 2012 if your RDS servers are running 2008R2 and vice versa), license type, and desired quantity (general rule for quantity is 10x full time staff if using EES)
- Click Next to attempt online activation